Saturday 19 November 2011

Season 4, Episodes 18 & 19

Episode 18: Islanded in a Stream of Stars
  • Gaius admits to seeing Head Six (or at least "an angel"). Also, he finally gets to talk to Caprica Six.
  • The random dying Eight calling Saul her father and then her last words being "too much confusion" was great!
  • Kara peeing in front of Gaius felt like having the old Starbuck back!
  • Kara saying to Gaius that she's not an angel, and then in the next scene appearing at the door to see Hybrid Sam lit just like Caprica Six is in the Opera House vision. (Plus the contrast of that white light with the red of the Hybrid chamber was really wonderful.)
  • Hybrid Sam is awesome! I loved that he repeated the line about Kara being the harbinger of death, and the flashing lights as a result of his blinking was a great visual.
  • Laura and Bill smoking a joint! Ha!
  • I didn't think Gaius would actually run tests of Kara's dogtags as she suggested. And his results weren't news to us.
  • Seeing the three funerals was interesting, especially since the Cylons never would have had to do funerals before.
  • Kara putting her own photo on the wall between Dee and Kat's was just perfect, and very moving. She has finally embraced her death and transcendence.
  • Adama the abstract expressionist.
Quote

Kara: "Regularity? That must be important when you're full of crap."

Episode 19: Daybreak, Part 1
  • Finally we get no spoilers of the episode to come after the opening credits! I've actually really been enjoying how the credits have been changing almost every episode for the last few.
  • An opening shot of the/a galaxy really set the bar high in terms of my expectations for the epicness of the finale. I hope I'm not disappointed. But anyway, WOW!
  • Caprica Six met Gaius as a prostitute! Didn't see that coming, but it works.
  • Nice that Gaius' father has the same Yorkshire-sounding accent that Gaius used to speak with, and that it is brought up again.
  • Laura under the fountain after finding out about the death of her father and sisters was very moving indeed, and just so Laura.
  • Head Six appears in her season 1 red dress! Squee!
  • Four and Five finally get a reappearance.
  • My note way back in season 1 about there being pigeons on Caprica turns out to have been relevant!
  • The whole scene with the red line down the hanger bay was really great, and wasn't done in the cliche way it so easily could have been, with everyone immediately signing up to go on the rescue mission. The whole thing was extremely moving.
  • Kara holding on to Laura to support her was tear jerking.
  • The singularity that the Colony is in orbit of will surely play a large part in the end game. Could it perhaps be a gateway to our Earth?
  • Overall, I found this episode really enjoyable and moving. The flashbacks make it feel kind of like an episode of Lost, but it did a really good job at harkening back to the beginnings of the series and pull on my heart strings in exactly the right ways. However, there wasn't nearly as much action or major revelation (for example about who/what exactly the Head characters are) as I had expected. There seems to be a lot left to the final part. I am really, very excited!
Quote

Adama (to Kara): "I know what you are. You're my daughter. Don't forget it." -This was so fraking moving. I cried like a baby.

2 comments:

  1. Really looking forward to your thoughts on the final two eps, certainly mixed reactions in the fandom but I guess it would be impossible to please everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At this point, I'm so in love with the show, that I think I will be happy with whatever they give me. I have hopes and expectations of course, but I really can't imagine how I could be disappointed. I mean, if it ended with Starbuck waking up and realising it was all a dream, then yes, perhaps I would be rather cheesed off, but barring that, I think I will love it!

    ReplyDelete