Saturday 26 March 2011

Season 1, Episodes 11 & 12

Episode 11: Colonial Day

Highlights/Moments of Revelation
  • How scary is Number 6 when threating to rip Gaius' heart out? She gives me the wiggins sometimes!
  • I'm glad Tom Zarek brought up the point that money is now worthless, as I'd been wondering if they would consider that, especially when watching the Battlestar gang gambling.
  • What a great reveal it was that Gaius had been having sex with the reporter in the toilet after the President came in to ask him to run as her vice! Though that whole scene was a little surreal with the cheesy muzak in the background.
  • Starbuck and Lee flirting? Wow, I didn't really see that coming. ("I clean up good some times." "Well, let me know when it's one of those times.") They're so hot for each other.
  • And, of course, Starbuck in a dress. A once in a lifetime opportunity!
  • Just when I was wondering where Commander Adama had been all episode, he shows up and asks Laura to dance, just as I'd hoped. I am totally starting to ship those two!
  • I squeed like a girl when Helo saw a copy of Sharon on Caprica. I'm so excited that he knows she's a Cylon!
Questions
  • Why did Number 6 want Gaius to second Zarek's motion to open nominations for the vice presidency? Did she know that it would mean that Gaius himself would be nominated and win?
  • Does Laura suspect Gaius of something? And is it something in particular, or general? When Commander Adama comments that Gaius was an interesting choice, she said: "the devil you know." Hmm.
  • Who did kill Valence? Was it Ellen? And if so, did she get the 3 days for her and her husband in a luxury suite on the Rising Star in exchange for doing it?
Quote
  • "All those years I watched you working with Adar, you were always so quiet, so polite, so dignified. I never thought you'd fit in with the bare-knuckle, back-stabbing politicians. I guess I was wrong."
Episode 12: Kobol's Last Gleaming (Part 1)

Highlights/Moments of Revelation
  • The opening scene with flashes between Gaius & Starbuck, Lee & Commander Adama and Helo & Sharon was really intense and pretty awesome, notably due to the music.
  • I'm really enjoying how this show requires you to pay quite a lot of attention and doesn't treat its viewers like idiots.
  • I'm now pretty convinced of my theory that Lee and Starbuck are going to get together. The scene with Lee confronting her about why she slept with Gaius made it pretty clear that he has feelings for her and that she likely reciprocates.
  • Boomer didn't shoot herself the first time she tried and ended up discovering Kobol (though I didn't get how she knew it was "more important than Earth"; i.e. Kobol) but did do it the second time straight after Gaius' speech in which he basically told her she should.
  • The ending of this episode left me in awe. I am so in love with this show! 
 Quote
  • Laura & Number 6: "Plaything?"
###

I've decided to give the season finale, episode 13, its own post, which I will put out next Saturday. I will also include thoughts about the series so far and a roundup of season 1. I can't wait to see what happens!

2 comments:

  1. Colonial Day is the one episode in this season I skip through, for me the politics were a little ham fisted but still some great scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, Jarrak. As someone who knows next to nothing about politics, I was suitably impressed/convinced.

    ReplyDelete